WORKSTREAM ACTIVITY: parent & organisational support
Autism Concern is an independent charity based in Northampton, UK which seeks to serve the needs of those affected by autism in Northamptonshire, England and the surrounding area. The charity owes its beginnings to a group of parents who wished to address the lack of support immediately following the diagnosis of a child on the autism spectrum. Over its twenty year history the charity has grown in scope, reflecting the increased diversity of needs and aspirations of the community it serves. Today the charity lists over 250 families on its children’s services and manages over 1000 contacts to its family support service annually. Autism Concern continues to advocate for support at both local and national level through our partnerships with other autism charities.
The charity’s main objectives are:
- To provide specialised, quality services tailored to meet the need of people with autism, their parents and carers
- To provide information, advice, guidance and support directly through the provision of services which enhance the lives of those
- affected by autism
- To empower parents/carers and the autistic individual to enable informed choice, self-advocacy and independence
- To work with local authorities, health authorities and voluntary organisations to extend existing provision for education, health and social services commensurate with need
- To raise awareness of Autism Concern as a service provider and the nature of Autistic Spectrum Conditions throughout Northamptonshire in all parts of the community including the voluntary sector, business, local government and the general public
- To seek to influence professional opinion and help shape policy in Northamptonshire for the benefit of people on the Autistic Spectrum and their parents/carers.